The American military has been a disgrace over the past few months. It got in a spat with Tucker Carlson, has persecuted conservatives, has alternated between defending teaching CRT and claiming it’s not taught in the military, and has engaged in a wide array of other “woke” policies.
While the brass has largely gone along with such nonsense, many veterans and current enlisted soldiers have not.
One such dissident veterans’ group is The Committee to Support and Defend, headed by Allen West. Here’s its mission statement on the homepage:
“The Committee to Support and Defend is committed to providing a voice to retired servicemen and women who seek to continue fulfilling their oath to support and defend the US Constitution. Please join me in showing solidarity to support constitutional values by signing this letter.” -LTC. Allen West (Ret.)
It then asks veterans that are upset with how the military is currently acting to sign a letter:
“If you are a retired member of the U.S military or a veteran, please read our letter and then join the growing list who are committed to supporting and defending the U.S. Constitution by clicking here to sign.”
As of now, over 1000 veterans have signed the letter, the text of which says:
As former members of the U.S. military who have proudly served our nation, we write to express our support for Constitutional freedom and liberty and our concern for our country as many powerful forces seek to bring Socialism and Marxism to our land.
When we agreed to serve our country, we pledged to support and defend the U.S. Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. During our active-duty service, we did just that.
Today, although no longer active-duty warriors, we are still bound to this pledge and believe we are ethically obligated to protect our country. As such, we put our nation’s leadership on notice. We believe the hard left turn toward Socialism and Marxism endangers our citizens and the future of this great nation. Although a difficult step to take, we believe this step is necessary for us to continue to demonstrate the integrity and moral courage our oath requires.
• We are disgusted by the dismantling of the rule of law in our great country. We never thought we would see the return to Vietnam-style disdain for public service. Unfortunately, this disregard and disrespect is corrosive and will lead to dangerous situations for citizens and law enforcement. A revolving door for criminals and a two-tiered justice system that offers up different penalties based on the viewpoints of the accused must end.
• It disturbs us to see the erosion of fair and honest elections. Civilians doubt that our electoral system accurately reflects the will of the people. Current servicemen and women struggle to find clear instructions on how they can execute their own constitutional right to vote and doubt their ballots will be counted. We reject efforts by those who seek to avoid fair and honest elections by deeming commonsense voting measures “racist.” The gold standard in voting, recognized throughout the world, is in person, with identification, yet politicians are seeking to end this in the U.S.
• We oppose the politicization and ideological purging of our military. The focus of our military should be on training, readiness, and defense of our Nation, not leftist cultural “wokeness”.
• We decry the assault on our constitutional rights through censorship of written and verbal expression and we point out the complicit arrangement between private corporations and those in power to present only one point of view. Never did we think we would see the day when our media resembled Pravda.
• Bureaucratic abuses that have led to business and school closures and excessive lockdowns should not be tolerated by the American people. We do not get our rights from the CDC, the FDA or from private corporations. And, as such, we will not tolerate Soviet-style internal passports or anything resembling the Chinese social credit system where citizens are monitored and controlled, whether that system be carried out by the government or by their cooperative partners in the private sector.
• We stand with Israel and call upon all Americans to continue with the Mideast peace initiatives, the “Abraham Accords” and oppose re-engaging in the Iran Nuclear Deal. Iran’s acquisition of nuclear weapons is not in the interest of freedom-loving individuals. We believe it is in the self interest of all Americans to oppose this deal.
• We must continue our efforts for energy independence. We believe it is in our nation’s best interest to reopen the Keystone Pipeline and focus on regaining U.S. jobs and protecting the national security interests provided by energy independence.
• The perforation of our southern border is a lifeline for terrorists, drug cartels and human traffickers. The current administration’s position on open borders and illegal immigrants places our nation at risk from a health, economic and safety perspective. As a sovereign nation we have a right and a duty to protect our borders.
• We oppose the establishment of cooperative relations with China as we believe the Chinese Communist Party is focused on global militaristic and technological domination. It is currently amassing weapons to stage a takeover of Taiwan. America is bound by the Sino-American Mutual Defense Treaty which protects Taiwan from invasion by the People’s Republic of China. Our cooperation with China is at odds with our signed alliances and is not in American self-interest. We must focus on preventing Chinese expansionism and protect our nation from attacks on our infrastructure by securing our gas pipelines and electric grids from penetration.
We call upon the American people to join us in opposing the advancement of socialism by holding public officials accountable in the public square and the voting booth. We must elect local, state, and federal candidates who will always act to defend our Constitutional Republic.
The survival of our Nation and its historic values, liberty and freedom are at stake.”
Furthermore, some of the signatories have made their own statements. Here’s what American Greatness reports one former general had to say about the issue:
One of the signatories, General Joe Arbuckle (ret.) said in a statement: “Critical Race Theory and other such programs are intentionally designed to divide people into groups based on oppressors vs oppressed; sowing discord and distrust in each other. This is exactly the opposite of the team building based on the essential trust and confidence needed in military units for unit cohesion and readiness. If allowed to continue, CRT and other such divisive programs will do tremendous damage to our military, its missions, and therefore our Nation. No doubt our adversaries across the globe are carefully watching how this unfolds.”
This is a good step in the right direction. The letter gets to the root of the issue and calls out just how bad things are getting for America from a national security perspective, thanks largely to woke policies.
But more needs to be done. There are millions of veterans and only 1000 have signed. Let’s share this letter so that more can do so!