By now, everyone has learned of the terror and sadness at the Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, where a gunman, Salvador Ramos, shot his grandmother, then crashed her pickup, barricaded himself in a classroom, and slaughtered 19 kids, two teachers and injured 17 others – before cops killed him.
It is the second-worst school shooting since the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting back in 2012. The story is still unfolding but here is a link that can give you more details – see here.
Of course, politicians and celebrities were quick to jump on the political bandwagon and accuse their political opponents as the cause of the shooting – saying they have the moral high ground on this issue. As an example, watch Jimmy Kimmel in an 8.52-minute video that takes less than 30 seconds to jump right into politics and accuse 50% of Americans (people on “the right”) of their immorality because of their lack of support for new gun laws.
Watch more, the sports pundits in their video below, “Inside The NBA Speaks on Mass Shooting at Elementary School,” as they rationalize the events of the recent shootings in Texas.
Local and world leaders are all reacting to the Uvalde school shooting with similar commentary – see here and here. For the most part, the reaction is “thoughts and payers,” now disarm the public and go for the guns. This is their collective solution.
But what’s missing in all these narratives, aside from the gun debate and who did what on the ground of this specific event? Why are these kids turning to these crazy violent acts in the first place (not just school shootings)? Sure, there is a little discussion about families, culture, and help for mental illness, but this does not go to the heart of the problem in any detail.
When one starts going into any detail, you will quickly be rebuffed as a religious nutjob, a bigot, a misogynist, or even a racist. Twenty to forty years ago we simply did not see the chaos of society that we see today. Remember how society was?
- There was a structure in the family. The Father was head of the household, followed by Mom and the kids. The patriarchy? Society today will proclaim the horrors of this.
- The Father worked to provide for the home, and Mom managed the home and minded the kids while the Father was at work. This has long been lost to the two-income family. Remember the term latch-key kids?
- Today it’s hard to find couples that are not divorced – some several times. Let’s not even get into pre-marital sex. Back in the day, divorce was illegal, and having a baby out of wedlock was a major scandal. Do any of these issues have any effect on society’s culture today?
- Hollywood, television, and gaming have all turned into highly sexualized and violent entertainment. Then there is the online porn available anywhere, anytime on your smartphone for free. But no, spending hours daily consuming this filth, many will say that there is no connection between these activities and society’s culture.
- The economic structure has also changed to make it ever increasingly difficult for the youth to obtain opportunities in a career. Why not just sit in my parent’s basement and play Xbox – besides, the government will send me a check at the end of the month – why work?
- A few decades ago, bullying existed, but nowhere near the scale of today. In major cities, many kids must join a gang to survive. Then we could discuss the drug culture that has evolved over the decades to what it is today. Many communities and schools have turned into drug-infested violent war zones. So what have many cities advocated? – defund the police, you are on your own.
- Remember when the focus of schools was the “three Rs?” Much of our education has turned into indoctrination camps for Marxists. Preparing the youth little to enter life, rather telling them they are victims of oppression. They teach the youth that they are homophobes, bigots, misogynists, and racists if they don’t go along with the “Progressive” agenda. Besides, climate change activists tell us we are all going to die in ten years anyway.
- Kids can’t even look down into their pants and tell if they are a boy or a girl. If you think you can, you will be banned from Facebook. Let’s not even discuss tranny shows in grade schools.
- This week, the Right Wire Report Podcast dived further into causation and the profile of a school shooter/ mass murderer, see here, for stats and an in-depth discussion.
With all the issues our youth have to deal with, with little or poor counsel, is it no wonder they go crazy? No, that does not mean all kids will go out and shoot up a school somewhere. But those on the margin might. A good percentage of the rest will have other severe issues that won’t make front-page news but are devastating to many as well.
Perhaps any one of the above items would not be enough to decay our society. However, mixing them all together at a significant scale might. After all, racist Confederate statues in parks, misgendering a fellow student, and other microaggression causes unconscionable damage to the youth and must be dealt with by society. The issues mentioned above – Nah, no big deal.
Many people today don’t believe that society has gone into moral decay. A moral decay that is cyclical and spirals downward each time a barrier gets broken. There is a notion that these things we left behind decades ago do not affect culture and hence the behaviors of the youth. In fact, society decades ago was bad and evil.
Heaven forbid we discuss the Bible and morality in a Sunday Thoughts article. Nevertheless, consider the following Biblical text that suggests this moral decay phenomenon.
- Deuteronomy 4:40: “Keep his decrees and commands, which I am giving you today, so that it may go well with you and your children after you and that you may live long in the land …” This implies generational moral living has long term benefits (Proverbs 9:11 and other texts say basically the same thing).
- 1 Corinthians 15:33: “Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.” This is an indication that poor behavior results in others doing the same.
- Matthew 7:17: “Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.” The result of moral decay.
Let’s get back to the question of – why no one will have that discussion on the real causes of school shootings and other violent activities in our society. They are really twofold.
- Many enjoy the moral decay of this world and don’t want to change. Go back and look at that list – are you ready to start living as we did before? No, I didn’t think so. Many of these same people advocating for gun control wallow in societal depravity and are looking for an excuse to obfuscate their responsibility for their own moral failures.
- A chaotic society will convince people to give up their personal sovereignty and hand it to the elites and leaders of this world. Many people feel that government will keep them safe. They are apathetic and lazy to do the work required to maintain a society. Instead, rely on the government, which obfuscates any personal responsibility one has to the betterment of society.
Is it not easier to blame others and guns for the failures we ourselves have done? You will never hear this conversation on your mainstream media. Here is a startling Biblical prophecy that explains the state we find ourselves in Hosea 4:6.
“My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.“
And so it is written, the children are forgotten. No, society is not ready to change, so those thoughts and prayers probably won’t work – it’s just virtue signaling.
See more Sunday Thoughts posts.