While RINOs GOP politicians of the sort represented by Kevin McCarthy can’t (and shouldn’t) be trusted to reliably defend conservatism, they do sometimes discover a bit of courage and stand up for what we elected them to stand up for.
One recent case of that was when Kevin McCarthy, House Republican leader, demanded that Americans be allowed to sue China.
According to Just the News:
“House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy demanded Sunday that the House Intelligence Committee’s probe into COVID-19’s origins be declassified and that China’s sovereign immunity be suspended so Americans can have transparency and sue Beijing for reparations for the pandemic’s toll.
“We should lift the sovereign immunity so the 600,000 individuals who died, their families could actually have justice and sue China,” McCarthy told the Fox News show Sunday Night America.”
He also said:
“Think about who had to pay for this,” he said. “Three million and eight hundred thousand people have lost their lives because China lied to the world. Six hundred thousand of those 3.8 million are Americans. And for so long, with social media denying our ability to even talk about it, of where it came from our having from Wuhan and others. The first thing we should do is declassify the intelligence. That would show us it came from Wuhan.”
McCarthy’s call that Americans should be allowed to sue China came as part of his 8-pillar plan, released in a letter to Republicans, to hold China accountable for Covid.
The premise of the article was that China lied and people died; according to a University of Southampton study released in March 2020, had CCP taken steps to stop the spread of COVID-19 one to three weeks sooner, cases could have been reduced by 66 percent, 86 percent, and 95 percent respectively. McCarthy’s point was that they should be held accountable for not doing so:
“Evidence continues to indicate that the CCP intentionally hid information and lied about what it knew to be true about the virus. Additionally, World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom knowingly and willfully downplayed or outright denied the Chinese government’s malfeasance, and instead chose to cower to the CCP rather than stand up for the international community. Like all of you, I am deeply angry about the avoidable loss of life, hope, and futures resulting from the CCP’s actions. They and their conspirators must be held accountable.”
The complete plan to hold China accountable was composed of these 8 pillars:
1. Declassification of Intelligence: House Republicans will introduce legislation to require declassification of information related to the origins of Covid-19, including in any report that comes from President Biden’s recent request.
2. Prohibit Gain of Function Research in and with China: We must ensure the United States no longer funds any gain of function research conducted in or with China, or any individual with known ties to the CCP.
3. Prohibition on National Institutes of Health (NIH) Funding to Malevolent Foreign Governments: Congress should prohibit NIH funding to grantees or subgrantees from doing research with irresponsible foreign governments or entities who are intent on harming the United States, its allies, or the American people, such as China, Russia, Iran, or North Korea.
4. WHO Overhaul and Counterintelligence Investigation: WHO Director-General Tedros should step down from his post at the WHO; Taiwan should be granted observer status at the WHO; and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, in partnership with the U.S. Intelligence Community, should conduct a counterintelligence investigation into the U.S. medical research establishment to determine the extent to which the governments of China, Russia, Iran, and North Korea have infiltrated critical U.S. organizations.
5. Investigations and Utilizing Existing Authorities: President Biden and Congress must continue to investigate the origins of Covid-19.
6. Visa Restrictions and Sanctions: Congress should pass a new sanctions regime imposing economic sanctions and visa and admissibility restrictions on those in China, associated with the CCP, WHO, or other international organizations who knowingly and willfully participated in the Covid-19 coverup.
7. Waiving Chinese Sovereign Immunity: The families of those who have died from Covid-19 should be given the option to file suit against the Chinese government for damages incurred as a result of the reckless conduct of the CCP. Several Republican members, including Dan Crenshaw, Ann Wagner, and Brian Fitzpatrick, have introduced legislation allowing such lawsuits to go forward.
8. Relocation of the 24th Olympic Winter Games: Given the CCP’s active coverup of Covid-19 and contribution to the 3.8 million deaths worldwide, China should not be rewarded by allowing Beijing to host the Winter Olympics in 2022.
Hopefully, those steps will be achieved sooner rather than later. China is responsible both for the Covid pandemic and the damages resulting from it. Americans should be allowed to sue China.
By: Gen Z Conservative.